MCL Construction is building the project that is scheduled to be completed late next year. Omaha design firm Altus Architectural Studios is the project architect.
CHECK OUT MORE PHOTOS FROM THE MMI GROUNDBREAKING
Architects consulted with MMI clients and clinicians to create a plan for the building that enhances and simplifies the patient experience as well as offering an array of services not available elsewhere in the state. Existing programs will be expanded and improved while new programs and collaborations will be provided.
Among the new amenities:
- An accessible and family-centric floor plan designed to simplify and enhance the patient’s clinical experience;
- A redesigned and integrated Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders (iCASD), under the leadership of a newly recruited, nationally recognized expert in autism, where MMI professionals will provide interdisciplinary care, pulling together the various services to enhance the patient experience;
- A one-bedroom “apartment,” where occupational therapists can help individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities learn and practice hands-on life skills;
- The Caring For Champions Program, a collaboration with Special Olympics that will provide sustained vision, dental, and weight management services; and
- A new aquatic center and playground for clients and youth will enhance the experience for youngsters who attend Camp Munroe.
2019 marks the beginning of MMI's second century of providing services for patients with developmental and intellectual disabilities; its new home will be the first of its kind in the nation, MMI Director Karoly Mirnics, M.D., Ph.D., said.
It will be uniquely designed to facilitate integrated care for the individuals and families with these disabilities and complex health care needs that MMI serves across the lifespan, Dr. Mirnics said.
“This new facility will not only allow us to provide state-of-the-art care, but it will enable us to recruit and retain top clinicians, educators, and researchers to Nebraska,” Dr. Mirnics said. “Building on 100 years of service, our vision is for a center that will provide an intimate, convenient care center for our patients while providing us with the talent and facilities to have a global impact in the areas of education and research into intellectual and developmental disabilities.”
MCL Construction is one of the leading healthcare builders in the Midwest and has completed several projects for UNMC.
"We are ready to make the vision a reality," said MCL Construction Senior Vice President Tony Fucinaro. "This project is going to have a positive impact on so many people for years to come. For MCL Construction to be a member of such a talented project team means a great deal to our team and our employees and speaks to the level of trust UNMC has in our approach to construction."
About MCL Construction:
MCL Construction is an Omaha, Nebraska, based Construction Manager and General Contractor. It builds relationships with business partners by using construction expertise with innovative building strategies to provide a collaborative building experience.